Hey guys! Sorry for not updating for like… you know, 5 months. After we got into our major, college classes took up a lot more time than expected. Not a good excuse, but an honest one. Sorry.
Despite what people think, we actually have NOT escaped to Cuba to live a life of luxury. We have a lot of Risk of Rain stuff coming. The most important is moving Risk of Rain from GameMaker 8 to GameMaker Studio. What does this mean? Well,
- Better performance (MUCH better. Actually-runs-the-final-level-at-60-fps better.)
- Better compatibility (no more silly sound errors, etc)
- Cross-platform support for Mac/Linux (I almost want to say cross-platform online too, but I’m not 100% sure)
- GM native net-code
- A stable base to iterate and add content in the future
The current timeline is planned to be:
- Convert Risk of Rain to GM:S (currently where we are, ~1 month)
- After fixing both new and old bugs, release Risk of Rain on Mac and Linux along with patching the PC version with the GM:S Risk of Rain
- Get Risk of Rain ready for Sony Platforms (PS3/PS4/PS Vita) and launch when its ready
- Arena Mode
Why is the Arena mode after all the above? The reason is because we have actually been throwing around the idea of a PvP mode (Risk of Rain style), and we wanted to first see if latency is reduced in the upgrade to GM:S. If not, no worries; the previous plans continue.
Hope that clarifies where we are and where we are going. I’ll try to make an active effort to keep people updated from now on. Cheers.